From the Greek words hydro (water) and ponos (labor) is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions, without soil.
Since Northeast Ohio is known for its volatile weather, here at Sirna's Farm and Market we have extended our growing season by using hydroponics. After years of trial and error and a ton of research, we have perfected our system of using hydroponics by pairing every plant to each system for the most successful and abundant harvest.
Currently we are using Bato buckets for our cucumbers and tomatoes. These buckets are filled with two kinds of volcanic rock and the plants are fed nutrients through water. We also grow our strawberries using verti-gro towers. This method of hydroponics allows us to grow more strawberries in a smaller area by stacking them on top of one another. The same rocks are used and nutrients are fed to the plants directly through the water. Since we have learned everything by experimentation, we are currently working with NFT (nutrient flow technique). This will allow us to get our lettuces ready before we plant them in the high tunnels.
If you are interested in learning more about our hydroponics, we do offer informational tours to area schools. You can also set up an appointment for a tour and taste the benefits of hydroponically grown produce by visiting our market.
The FarmAbout Us | History | Awards
Tours | Location and Hours
Internships | Contact Us
Get LocalProduct Listing
Local Products We Carry
Wines | Whats In Season
Farmers' MarketsWhere to Find Us
2014 FestivalsLocation and Dates
Get Fresh & HealthyEating Fresh
Beef | Veggies | Eggs
CSAAbout CSA | CSA Application
CSA Pickup Locations
ConnectFacebook | Media
Ohio Farm Bureau | Links
Check out a recent article about the farm in Our Ohio.
Sirna's Facebook Wall
- LINK FREE FAMILY FUN?! Tell me, who doesn't love free? ..........Celebrate National Tourism Week with this annual trek through Geauga County! Learn about your community and support these amazing local businesses!
- LINK http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/21/grass-fed-beef-burger_n_5001673.html
Some little known facts about Sirna's Beef:
- 100% Grassfed (start to finish, no gimmicks)
- 100% Pure Bred Black Angus (certified Angus beef, does not need to be 100%, when labeled that at the grocery store)
- Cuts ground into meat include, prime rib, steak, sirloins, etc. We grind the entire cow, not just the scrap meats at the end.
- Naturally, at least 90% lean
- No price tag shocker-- we've got one of the best prices in town!
- Our ground beef is supplied to Winking Lizard's Wink Restaurants for their small menu. (Sidenote: Our produce is supplied to all Winking Lizards during our growing season)
Grass Fed vs. Regular Burgers: Which Tastes Better?
We take our burgers very seriously.... 04/15/2014
- LINK Thanks for visiting us at North Union Farmers Market at Crocker Park on Saturday!
Mobile Uploads 04/14/2014